Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Three words that would best describe me are...

CREATIVE

Being creative, leading a creative life, and encouraging creativity in my children is a big part of my world. I knew I wanted to be a writer since I was in my teens, but before that it was acting (and acting up, and acting out...). I've always been attracted to the ability to create and even my hobby - scrapbooking - has that aspect. My boys have inherited this fun gene from me and I love seeing what they come up with.

PASSIONATE

From what I write to how I love - if there's no passion involved, I dont do it. I was once at a seminar where they asked us to think about our purpose. One of the ways they guided us to the answer was by asking us to think about what we wouldnt live without (chocolate not included). Or what when it wasnt in our life, made our lives dimmer, duller. The answer for me is PASSION. That driving heat, that intense desire. A life without it is hardly worth it to me. One of the reasons I know I enjoy writing erotic romance is because I have seen too many women ignore the passionate and, yes, sexual side of themselves. That is like ignoring one of our great gifts, great powers as women. I believe that erotic writing, and reading, helps to put us back in touch with that part of ourselves.

HUMOUROUS

I have a great sense of humor. Laughter is another big part of my life. Hey, I live with my husband and two sons - I had better laugh a lot. When I look at some of the long-lived celebrities I notice two groups: dancers, which makes sense because physical activity is good for you and comedians, because I really believe laughter is so good for you. George Burns, Don Rickles, Phyllis Diller, Lucille Ball. Stay off the dangerous stuff (yes, drugs) and laughter can really extend your life. I've always been told I have a great sense of humor and I do make people laugh a lot. One of my writing goals is to try to create that more in my stories. And when life's frustrations get to me (they get to us all), finding ways and reasons to laugh helps me to move forward.

Embrace who you are. Look at Julia Child - she ate whatever she wanted. Drank alcohol in moderation and regularly, and was a breast cancer survivor. I dont doubt that one of the reasons she lead such a long life is because she did what she loved. She did what allowed her to create what she wanted in the world, what she was passionate about, and have love and laughter in her life.

I wish you all the same, Rowan

No comments: